Friday, December 30, 2011

Kitchen Adventures 19.2

Every day I get delicious recipes sent to my inbox. I usually print out the ones I want to try and add them to my collection. Occasionally, if something looks REALLY good, I will tell my student employees about it to gauge their reaction and see if it is something they would want for a birthday party or other event.

I printed off this recipe back in March. I told one of my students about it and said I would make it sometime. The months drifted by and still I did not make this. Finally, it came time for our December birthday/Christmas/going away party and this seemed like just the right dish for such a large occasion. It was also my birthday and this student's birthday month, so I thought it would be fitting.

This recipe is so delicious it's ridiculous. I unfortunately only got a couple pieces as I left for the rest of the week, but I have a feeling they did not last very long. They are very rich, so tiny pieces are plenty.

This recipe came from Sweet Pea's Kitchen.

Peanut Butter Truffle Brownies

Ingredients:

For the brownies:
1 c. butter (2 sticks)
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
3 tsp. vanilla
2/3 c. cocoa powder
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
For the peanut butter filling:
1/2 c. butter, softened (1 stick)
1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
2 c. powdered sugar
2/3 tsp. milk
For the ganache topping:
1/4 c. creamy peanut butter
2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 c. butter (half a stick)
2 T heavy whipping cream

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9x13 metal pan (I used Pyrex and it was fine). Put a long piece of parchment paper in to bottom of the pan, draping the ends. (I did hot do this and they came out fine.). Butter the parchment.
2. In a medium (I used a large) saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Remove from heat and add the sugar; stir to combine. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined. Mix in the cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add the flour and stir until just combined and no streaks of dry ingredients remain. Pour this into the prepared pan and spread into an even layer. Bake for about 25-30 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a cooling rack.
3. While the brownies are cooling, make the peanut butter filling. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the ingredients and beat until smooth. Add more milk if necessary to make it spreadable. Spread in an even layer over the brownies. Place in the refrigerator until filling is set, about 30 minutes.
4. While the filling is setting, make the ganache. Melt and combine the ingredients in a double boiler or in a microwave safe bowl. Pour the ganache over the top and spread it gently. Return to the fridge to set.

Unfortunately I failed to take a picture of this. Picture brownies with peanut butter fudge and chocolate ganache on top. It's delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment