Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Kitchen Adventures 12.5

I'm back! After a long respite due to a very busy autumn, I am catching up on my very large backlog of recipes while on break. The perks of working at a university just keep going. :)

This first recipe is one I made for a work birthday party. I have had this recipe since my time at Pitt, about five years ago now. Time flies! I never had problems with this recipe while in Pitt, but for some reason every time I have made it in Norman the middle sinks down after baking. I don't know if I'm overmixing or using bad baking powder, but regardless people even like that part of it.

This coffee cake is great for dessert or breakfast. Chocolate chips and cinnamon are a great combination! And remember, if you run out of sour cream you can always substitute plain yogurt. It works just as well and no one will know the difference!

Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake

Ingredients:

2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 stick butter at room temperature
2 eggs at room temperature
1 c. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8"x8" square baking pan and set aside. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking p0wder, baking soda and salt. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Beat the butter and remaining 1 cup sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then beat in the sour cream and vanilla. Fold in the flour mixture until combined and pour half the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with half the cinnamon-sugar mixture and half the chocolate chips. Spoon the remaining batter into the pan and spread out, then top with the remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture and chocolate chips.
3. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, about 30-35 mintues.

*From Every Day with Rachael Ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment