Friday, December 30, 2011

Kitchen Adventures 18.1

When someone says "cheeseburger," most people think of fast food, burger joints or clogged arteries. I personally think of something delicious as I am a burger fan, but sometimes I want the taste of a cheeseburger without the grease or going out to eat. So, when I found this recipe I decided I needed to try it out.

This recipe takes a different spin on a cheeseburger. First, it is made in a slow cooker. Next, it is in casserole form. I have never heard of a cheeseburger casserole, but it sounded like something I would like. It actually ended up being more like a cheese meatloaf, but it was delicious. Even if you are not a meatloaf fan, you really should try this one out.

I have made this a couple times over the last few months and I learned a valuable lesson the second time I made this. When it says to use extra-lean ground beef, do it. Since you're not grilling or cooking these in a skillet, there is no place for the fat to go. The extra-lean beef is perfect and you end up with very little fat.

This recipe came from one of those little cookbooks you see at the checkout stand at your grocery store. There are some really good recipes in those little books! This one in particular is from Prevention Guide Slow Cooker Recipe Book.

Cheddar Burger Casserole

Ingredients:

2 lb. extra-lean ground beef
1/2 c. seasoned dried bread crumbs
1/4 c. chopped onion
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 c. ketchup
1 c. grated Cheddar cheese

Directions:

1. Coat the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray or use a cooker liner. In a medium bowl, mix the beef, bread crumbs, onion and Worcestershire sauce. Spoon into cooker and spread the top evenly with ketchup.
2. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or high for 1 1/2 hours.
3. Evenly sprinkle the top with cheese, then cover and cook for 30 more minutes if cooking on low, 15 if cooking on high, or until the cheese melts.
Serves 6

I typically serve this with some Steamers veggies or other vegetables like peas or green beans. It's quite delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment