Thursday, December 29, 2011

Kitchen Adventures 17.1

Hearty soups always sound delicious when the weather starts to cool and the leaves start to fall. The sun starts setting earlier and the nighttime chill sets in right at dinnertime. Delicious soup that warms your stomach just sounds delightful at this time of year.

Several of my cookbooks have good soup recipes, and I definitely need to make more soup, stew and stoup. I have an immersion blender now thanks to my parents, so I see more soups in my future. :) Many soups do not need an immersion blender, though, and those are the ones I typically make.

This particular recipe comes from the handy triple T youth group cookbook. The recipe was contributed by a friend's mother, and it is quite delicious. I did learn that it does awhile to make this, especially getting the soup to thicken. I think I was trying to make it thicker than it is supposed to be. I had it simmering down for at least 30 minutes, when I probably could have stopped at 15, but so it goes. You be the judge on what works best for you. This is definitely one I will make again.

Cheeseburger Soup

Ingredients:

2 lbs. hamburger
1 onion, chopped
3 cans chicken broth
3 potatoes, sliced
1 lb. Velveeta cheese
1 quart (4 cups) milk
2 T. flour
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Brown the hamburger and onion in a skillet. Boil the potatoes and drain them. Make a thickening mixture of the flour and 1 1/2 cups milk shaken up. In a large stock pot, place the hamburger onion mixture, potatoes, broth, cheese, and the thickening mixture. Heat this until the cheese melts. Turn off the heat once the cheese melts and add in the remaining milk. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir to thicken until desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment