Saturday, July 31, 2010

Kitchen Adventures 2.4

Sometimes when I come home from work, especially at the beginning of the week, I wonder what to make for dinner. This is especially an interesting situation if I have not been to the grocery store and stocked up on food. Since I rely on friends and the bus system to get to the store, I try to make as few trips as possible. After getting home from the lake, I made a trip via bus and didn't feel like cooking when I got home, so I put it off until the next day. And since I am limited on what I can carry on the bus, I cooked with ingredients I had already that needed to be used.
A few weeks ago at girls night we got to talking about cooking, and I mentioned that I had tried to make hamburger gravy recently and it had not gone well. Since I had hamburger and some biscuits in the fridge, I decided this was the ticket for the week. Hamburger gravy and mashed potatoes was something we had at home, so I figured biscuits would probably be a good substitute since I had no potatoes to mash. I found a recipe online at http://allrecipes.com, so I'll share that here. As a note, I'm sharing the halved version, you can find the full scale version at the website.

Hamburger Gravy

Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef
1/8 cup flour
1 pint milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. onion salt

Directions:
1. Place hamburger in a large, deep skillet. Crumble and cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Remove from heat and sprinkle flour over cooked hamburger. Stir until evenly coated and all fat is absorbed.
2. Place skillet over medium heat and pour in 1/2 of milk. Stir until gravy thickens. Add remaining milk until desired consistency has been reached and gravy comes to a boil. Season with salt, pepper, and onion salt.
3. Bake biscuits as directed, and serve gravy over biscuits.

It is better than it looks, trust me! And remember to season the gravy, it makes a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment