Sunday, March 6, 2011

Kitchen Adventures 9.4

This will be a short posting as I am just making a note regarding previous postings. Recently, I have become more aware of the need to consider dietary restrictions when baking and cooking for others. I am fortunate to not have any restrictions except for my own personal likes and dislikes. However, I have several co-workers and friends who are not in this same situation. Gluten-free diets are becoming more and more common these days and so I try to keep this in mind when baking. I have found a few cake mixes that work well, especially those made by Betty Crocker. There are also GF flours available. I bought one of those awhile back from Target and had not used it yet. When preparing to use it, I realized I needed an additional item, xanthum gum, to add viscosity to the mixture. After searching for this at several stores, I finally decided to use a type of substitute, Gum-Tex, that I found in the cake section of Michael's. I could have found what I needed at a specialty foods store, but I just didn't have time to make it there. I used this substitute and it seemed to work well enough.

Here's a note about using GF flours, though. I discovered that with the cake mix, I couldn't tell a difference at all between the regular and the GF. However, with the flour, I could actually tell a different in the taste. I think it is probably due to the types of flours used, but it was still pretty good.

Here is the link to the cake I made. The only difference is that I used the GF flour this time. The other recipe I shared as a GF recipe, for chocolate gooey butter cookies. Hope this is helpful for those that need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment