Sunday, March 20, 2011

Kitchen Adventures 10.2

I think many people have recipes they remember with fondness from their childhood. I am fortunate to have several of these recipes available through cookbooks where those family members have contributed their recipes. I recall this particular recipe, or at least I think it is this recipe, from many a birthday or church or family function. Sure, you can make a chocolate cake from a box, and sometimes that's the quickest and easiest thing to do. Occasionally, though, you just have the urge to make it from scratch. I have never made this recipe before and I was thoroughly impressed with its ease of the process and also the moistness of the cake. A dry cake is not an uncommon thing, but when you get that perfectly moist piece of cake with a wonderful icing there's really nothing better. :)

For the icing, I mixed things up a bit. For some reason I remember my mom using either vanilla icing or cool whip. I wanted to keep it all chocolate, though, so decided to make a ganache. I had made a ganache for a previous cake but knew it wouldn't quite work. I looked at a few recipes online and ended up just making my own version by combining elements from all of them. I must say, it turned out pretty well. I took this cake to work for our monthly birthday party and was able to bring some back home for my dad's birthday when they were down for the weekend. I also had enough left to share with friends, and of course enjoy some myself. :)

This recipe was submitted by my mom in the Triple T youth group cookbook.

Lorraine's Chocolate Cake

Ingredients:

1/2 c. shortening
2 eggs
1/2 c. cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. baking soda
2 c. sugar
2 c. flour
1/2 c. sour milk
1 c. boiling water

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cream the shortening and sugar, then add the eggs and beat until fluffy. Sift together the flour and coca, and add this mixture alternately with the sour milk and vanilla to the creamed mixture. Beat together once these ingredients are added for one minute. Add 2 teaspoons of baking soda to the cup of boiling water, then add this to the batter, blending well. Pour the batter into a greased 9"x13" pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.

Chocolate Ganache

Ingredients:

6 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 c. heavy cream

Directions:

Bring the cream just to a boil, then remove from heat. Add the chocolate and let it sit for a minute before stirring. Add more chocolate if needed. Let it cool until slightly thicker. When cool, pour over the cake and spread around to cover the cake. Make sure to keep refrigerated since the topping is cream

I unfortunately do not have a picture of this delicious cake. Picture a piece of chocolate cake with chocolate icing and there you go. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment