Sunday, March 6, 2011

Kitchen Adventures 9.3

Oh life, you art so busy! Of course, it's because I make it that way. No one is MAKING me go do all the things I do, except for work-related things, of course. All this socializing I do is of my own free will. It all puts things into perspective, though. Sometimes I think about the lives some of my other friends have, being married with babies or babies on the way. At times I think maybe this is the life I'm supposed to have, or at least what the world thinks I should have by this point in my life. But, then I get to go hang out with whoever, whenever I want and do lots of fun things like have girls night, listen to cover bands, watch sporting events and enjoy the company of my friends. I'm sure I could do all these things if I was married or have babies, but I'm quite content to enjoy this single, lovely life that God has given me.

I'm not quite sure what that all has to do with my recipe posting, but it was just a rumination that came to me. Anyway, back to the recipe, which I know is what most people look for on this blog. Well, not to disappoint, here it is! This is another recipe that came from the Wheat State Manor cookbook my mom gave me a few years ago for Christmas. The nice thing about this recipe is that you can substitute some of the ingredients to fit what you have. For instance, I did not have the right kind of potatoes because the shredded hash browns were all sold out from the store. Apparently this is a vital item right before a snowstorm. Anyway, the chunk potatoes worked just as well. It's all about making what you have work for you. Hope you like this yummy casserole!

Chicken Potato Casserole

Ingredients:

1 32 oz. pkg. frozen shredded potatoes, thawed
6 chicken breast halves, cooked and diced
1 c. melted butter, divided
1 can cream of chicken soup
12 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
1 sm. onion, diced (I omitted this)
1 tsp. salt
1 8 oz. pkg. sour cream
Corn flakes, crushed

Directions:

Spread the potatoes in the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish. Place the chicken over the potatoes. Combine the remaining ingredients with the exception of 1/2 c. butter and the corn flakes, and then pour this over the chicken. Mix together the remaining butter and the crushed corn flakes. I don't have an exact measurement for the corn flakes, but just crush enough until the butter is all absorbed. Spread the corn flake mix on top of the other ingredients and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment