Saturday, May 19, 2012

Kitchen Adventures 20.3

When I first purchased my slow cooker several years ago, I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. I grew up with my mom making dinner for the entire family in her slow cooker. I was just cooking for myself, so I wasn't quite sure where to start when looking for recipes that didn't feed an army. One year for Christmas my mom got me a little checkout stand cookbook full of great slow cooker recipes. The first one I tried was this recipe, which I still go back to for a quick and easy dinner.

A note about this one: make sure you watch it. Try to select chicken breasts that are of similar size and thickness so cooking is even. This last time they ended up pretty crunchy and dry because I was not paying close enough attention. When it smells done, it's done! Usually I pair this with some kind of green veggie, either a salad, green beans, or peas.

This came from PreventionGuide Slow Cooker Recipe Book.

Breaded Dijon Chicken Breasts

Ingredients:

1 c. dried bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. herbes de Provence (I just use Italian seasoned bread crumbs or threw in Italian seasoning)
1/2 tsp. paprika
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 1/2 lb. total)
1/4 c. Dijon mustard
1 T. olive oil
1/4 c. chicken broth

Directions:

1. Combine the bread crumbs, herbs, and paprika in a shallow bowl.
2. On wax paper, cover each chicken breast with mustard and then dip into the bread crumbs mixture, covering completely. Shake off excess crumbs.
3. Coat the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray and place the chicken in a single layer over the bottom of the slow cooker. Drizzle with oil and add the chicken broth.
4. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours. (I usually cook this on high 2 to 4 hours.)

No comments:

Post a Comment