Saturday, May 19, 2012

Kitchen Adventures 20.1

Wow, I knew it had been awhile since I posted, but almost five months is longer than I thought! Life did get busy the first part of this year, with writing an article (set to be published this summer!) and life in general. All is going well, and after several inquiries regarding this blog, I'm back at it. Hopefully I will be better at consistency, but I've said that before!

Five months of cooking is a lot to cover, but as I look back through my cooking efforts for the first part of 2012, I don't actually have that many new recipes to share. I made several dishes I have already sharedh ere, and quite frankly I have forgotten some of the things I made! The really good ones, though, are fresh in my memory.

This first recipe is a dish I made back in January. During the colder months, this was perfect. Now, with the temperatures in the high 80s, not so much. Still, it was delicious and I highly recommend it.

This recipe came from Every Day with Rachael Ray.

Cheeseburger Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients:

2 T. olive oil, plus more for greasing
1 red onion, finely chopped
2/3 c. ketchup
2/3 c. bread crumbs
2 large eggs
1/2 c. bread-and-butter pickle chips, chopped (I omitted this)
1-1/2 lbs. ground beef
8 oz. cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 lbs. new red potatoes
3/4 c. heavy cream

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and lightly oil a rimmed baking sheet. In a medium skillet, heat 2 T. olive oil over medium heat, then add the onion and cook, stirring, until lightly softened, about 3 minutes.
2. Combine the ketchup, bread crumbs, eggs, and pickles in a large bowl; mix in the onions. Crumble in the beef, add the cheese, and stir together. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and mold into a 4" x 12" loaf. Bake until a meat thermometer reaches 160 degrees, about 35 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, halve the potatoes and place them in a large pot with enough water to cover the potatoes by an inch. Bring this to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain the water and return the potatoes to the pot, mashing them with the heavy cream. I also seasoned the potatoes with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Let the meatloaf rest for 5 minutes before serving with the mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment