Monday, April 25, 2011

Kitchen Adventures 11.1

Every now and then you read a recipe and think it will turn out perfectly, then when you get halfway through it you realize things could go terribly wrong. At that point, you turn to salvage mode and try to find a way to save the dish so it's not a complete wash. This happened to me with this recipe. Everything looked fine at first, but as I went along I realized I would have to do some adjusting to make things turn out right. Fortunately, I made the correct adjustments and it turned out pretty well. I'm getting better at this improvisation in the kitchen thing!

This is a nice casserole recipe that could feed a family or a couple people for a few days. It came from the binder my aunt gave me several years ago. I'm posting it with changes I made so you can learn from my experiences. The oddest thing that happened when making this was that I used more meat than I was supposed to but cut almost everything else in half. It turned out pretty meaty, but it was still good.

Burrito Bake

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1 1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 1/2 c. grated Monterrey jack cheese
1/4 c. chopped onion (I omitted this)
1 pkg. crescent rolls
1 can refried beans

Directions:

Brown the beef and onion, then drain. Stir in the dry taco seasoning. Press the crescent rolls in the bottom of a 9"x13" pan. Use a second package of crescent rolls is one won't cover it. Spread refried beans over rolls. Use a second can if one won't cover it. Add the beef mixture to the top and then top it all with the cheeses. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove the foil to brown the cheese at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment