Friday, December 31, 2010

Kitchen Adventures 7.4

Every now and then I go on a baking binge. I figure it's a little healthier than other types of binges. :) And every now and then, that baking binge has a purpose. I needed to make some goodies to give to my co-workers for Christmas and also have something to eat at my birthday party, and cookies sounded like the perfect thing.

This post will include three recipes, but unfortunately no pictures. :( In my excitement (and haste) in baking, I forgot to photograph the event. You'll just have to use your imagination for these. :)

The first recipe came from my Nana. She sent me a letter with this recipe included, and it really worked well. I always think of sugar cookies around the holiday season, but rarely have time to chill the dough and don't really have the space for rolling out dough. This recipe negates both those obstacles, which makes it one of my new standbys.

Reader's Digest Sugar Cookies

Ingredients:
2 3/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. oleo
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Beat oleo, sugar, egg, and vanilla together. Combine dry ingredients, then add to wet mixture. Form in to balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Dip in sprinkles if desired. Bake for 8-10 minutes and cool on wire racks. Frost, if desired, when completely cooled.

The next recipe comes from a cookbook that the Carl Albert Center put together a few years ago for a holiday cookie exchange. This recipe was contributed by my friend and co-worker at that time, Kate Cornwell. I had not tried it before this endeavor, but I have made snickerdoodles before. This recipe was pretty good. I think the cookies turned out differently than when I have made them in the past because I grew up using margarine rather than butter for baking and this time I used butter. The cookies do flatten out with butter, but they are still delicious.

Snickerdoodles

Ingredients:
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cream of tarter
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
4 T. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup sugar, baking soda, and cream of tarter. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in the egg and vanilla until blended. Beat in as much flour as possible with the mixer and stir in remaining flour. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
Combine the 4 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and roll in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place dough balls on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until edges are golden. transfer cookies to wire rack to cool.

The final recipe is a new one I just encountered earlier in the month. I get the Food Network newsletter in my email, and they were doing the 12 Days of Cookies. This recipe is the first one they featured. It's by Paula Deen, so of course it has butter in it. :) If you would like the original recipe, you can find it here.

These cookies were pretty delicious! I also tried a variation, making these cookies gluten-free. I have a couple GF co-workers and did not want them to be left out of the goodness, and this is a good recipe to make GF.

Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies

Ingredients:
1 8 oz. pack cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick butter, room temperature
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 18 oz. box chocolate cake mix (or gluten-free cake mix)
Confectioners' sugar for dusting

Directions:
In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Beat in the egg, then add in the vanilla and beat until combined. Beat in the cake mix until well blended. Cover and chill the dough for 2 hours.
Roll the dough into balls and then roll them in confectioners' sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. The cookies will be soft. Cool completely and sprinkle with more confectioner's sugar, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment