Friday, December 31, 2010

Kitchen Adventures 7.2

I love a good bread recipe. I also love a good pumpkin recipe. So, naturally, I love a good pumpkin bread recipe. I fondly remember coming home from school and smelling freshly baked pumpkin bread when it got to be the later months of the year. My mom uses a great pumpkin bread recipe, and her pumpkin roll recipe is even better. However, I found another pumpkin bread recipe that I just had to try for sentimental reasons.

Last year, Alex and I helped a couple from McFarlin UMC here in Norman prepare an exhibit that is now on display at the church. They had existing pictures that they needed at different sizes, and they also needed a recent picture of the church. We helped them with this project and got to know them a little bit through this process. Then, a few months later, I learned that Mary, the lady who put this all together, had passed away. It was saddening since we had just finished working on this project with her. Shortly after that, I was at the annual cookbook swap and shop at the Norman Public Library and came across a gem, The University Cookbook. I saw it and hoped I would have enough money or tickets to get it and that it would be left at the end of the day. As my friend Shaye and I were looking at it, the organizer of the event, Judy Day, came over and raved about the cookbook. It was published by the University Women's Association at OU so included lots of recipes from professors or professors' wives. The recipe Judy flipped to was Mary's pumpkin bread. Well, when I saw that I got it immediately.

I finally got to make this recipe a few weeks ago, and I thought of Mary while the bread was baking. The note she left at the bottom of the recipe was appropriate for the moment, so I'll share it here.

"A nice way to be remembered often is to pass on a favorite recipe to a friend. This is how I got this all-time favorite pumpkin bread recipe. Even though the friend has moved far away, I think of her every time I make it."

That is one thing I hope for as I share all the recipes I make. I love sharing my creations with those nearby, but if I can't share the food I can share the recipe with those far away. I hope you enjoy this one! As a note, it does have a longer baking time, so plan appropriately.

Pumpkin Bread
Submitted by Mary Rodgers to The University Cookbook

Ingredients:
3 eggs, beaten
1 c. vegetable oil
3 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. canned pumpkin
3 c. flour
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. nut pieces (optional)

Directions:
Mix together eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together, and add nut pieces if desired. Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and stir well. Finally, add the pumpkin and mix well. Bake at 250 degrees for 2-2 1/2 hours in two medium size loaf pans that are lightly greased and floured.

Here are a couple pics:



No comments:

Post a Comment