Saturday, October 2, 2010

Kitchen Adventures 4.5

With the arrival of autumn, casseroles begin sounding more and more desirable. Now personally, a casserole sounds good to me any time of year, but they feel most fitting when the weather begins to cool and the leaves begin to turn. Though it hasn't gotten terribly cool down here yet, and the leaves are still mostly green, I'm feeling more and more like it's time for casseroles.

This recipe sounded pretty simple and delicious, and indeed it was. I picked this one from the Wheat State Manor cookbook my mom gave to me last Christmas. You can always count on those church ladies to provide good recipes, I like to say. Though not really casserole-y, it still counts in my mind. :)

Macaroni Sausage Casserole

Ingredients:
1/2 c. macaroni (I used 2 cups for a 9x13 pan)
4 qts. water
1/4 c. onion, chopped (I omitted this)
1/4 c. green pepper chopped (I also omitted this)
1 1/2 T. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. milk
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 lb. ground sausage

Directions:
Cook macaroni as directed in boiling salted water; drain and set aside. Brown sausage and break up. Add onion and green pepper to the meat. Stir in flour and salt. Cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add milk slowly. Cook until thick. Add cheese; stir to melt continuously. Combine macaroni and meat mixture and pour in to greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment