Thursday, August 19, 2010

Kitchen Adventures 3.1

Well I'm just a little late getting this up. but honestly I have not done much baking or cooking recently, or at least anything new. Being out of town two weekends in a row, officially starting a new job, and preparing for the new school year all take up precious baking and cooking time. But I'm back to baking now, so all is well. :)
Brief recap on recent activities: I got to go home two weekends ago for my sister's first wedding shower. This was the family one, so of course I wanted to be there. I had a great time seeing everyone, some of whom I had not seen in almost two years since I missed BOTH family Christmases last year. Plus, I got some quality immediate family time as well. I even talked Dad into a sunset motorcycle ride, which was lovely.
After coming back, I kept plugging away at work, handling photo orders, staffing issues, and everything that comes with being a manager. Thank goodness our Bible study is on servant leadership! I had no idea it would be so applicable when we started, but it has been amazing to learn how to lead like Jesus and actually get to apply it
A necessary part of work is celebrating birthdays. Each month we have a birthday party for all the birthday-ees for the month. This month, we celebrated my boss and one of our GAs. Our other boss got an amazing cupcake cake, Spongebob Squarepants themed, which was awesome. I contributed jumbo chocolate chip cookies, which were also good. I must say, they were a little different than I anticipated, but I think that's because I have started baking with butter instead of margarine. Growing up, we always used margarine, but for some reason I decided to start using butter, and it just makes things bake differently. These were very dense cookies, not terribly soft, but still delicious.
This recipe came from the Wheat State Manor cookbook, and the recipe was contributed my a wonderful lady from my church, Edna Bayes.

Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 c. butter (I did not use this much, that's a lot!)
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 12 ox. pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Combine flour, baking soda, and baking powder in mixing bowl. Set aside. Combine butter, sugar, and brown sugar in large mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla. Continue beating, scraping bowl clean, until well mixed. Reduce speed to low. Beat, gradually adding flour mixture until well mixed. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls, 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Set oven to 375 degrees and bake for 10 to 14 minutes until lightly golden brown, but do not overbake. Let stand 1 or 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheet.
Note: Makes about 30 cookies. For 2 1/2 inch cookies, drop by rounded tablespoonfuls. Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Makes 4 dozen cookies
Second note: I did not have enough chocolate chips, so I did half chocolate and half butterscotch chips. It was a nice change.

No comments:

Post a Comment