Sunday, June 27, 2010

Kitchen Adventures 1.4

As I pause to reflect on this toasty Sunday evening, I realize how truly blessed I am to be where I am. I never would have imagined that I would end up in Oklahoma, of all places, let alone want to stay here and establish my life. But, that is exactly what I'm doing. God has blessed me with wonderful opportunities, great co-workers, some amazing girl friends, and the best small group. Throw in the opportunities I have to serve Him through my church, New Life Bible Church, and I'd say I've got one amazing life. Sometimes I just have to remind myself of that, though. Today was one of those afternoons, and after an hour of quiet time, I've got that peaceful feeling in my soul. He is providing ways for me to make my life here possible, ways that I could have never imagined. Now I just have to remind myself that it doesn't stop here, that He will keep doing that and keep surprising me with just how much He takes care of me.

One way He does this is by giving me wonderful friends. One of my best friends down here is Shaye. We kept bumping into each other in class and at the Wesley, where she thought I was wanting to be with the guy that came with me when really her rescuing me would have been nice! :) But, it took our mutual friend, Megan, inviting her to our small group last year to really get to know her. We had been studying for comps together and made it through that ordeal, and one night Megan just said, "Come on Shaye, come with us to Bible study. You'll have fun." So she came, and she did. Little did she know, she was an answer to my prayers. Megan had been my way to church and small group and was actually the one who got me involved in both, but with her moving back to California I didn't know what I was going to do. Then there God went again, providing Shaye for me. Not only did He bring me a way to these things, He sent me a friend whom I have greatly enjoyed getting to know better over this past year. Now we teach Sunday School together, along with doing everything else. We just finished up VBS decorations, which was a great but tiring project. Here are some pics of our handiwork (Shaye's ideas, I just helped her out).

Our awesome spaceship.
Cool porthole

Twin planets

Recently Shaye was blessed with getting to buy a house, which is awesome! I wondered what I would do since my friend was moving farther away, but she has been a kind and gracious spirit and still drives down to get me. I know I don't say it enough, but I am so truly thankful for her willingness to drive the complete wrong direction just to come get me. Other friends do this for me too, but none as constantly or faithfully as Shaye. I told her I would either pay her with money or food, and since the budget is strained right now we went with food. :) Here is the first recipe and a picture from the first thank-you meal.

Manicotti
(from mixingbowl.com)

ingredients:
1 pkg. manicotti
1 lb. Italian sausage
1 container (15 oz.) ricotta cheese
1 pkg. shredded mozzarella cheese
shakes of grated parmesan
Italian seasoning to taste
1 jar spaghetti sauce

Directions:
Cook manicotti according to package directions. Brown sausage and drain. Set aside some mozzarella cheese for topping, then in a large bowl combine all the cheeses, the sausage, and the seasoning. Stir until combined. Stuff manicotti with filling. Place in baking dish and cover with sauce. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella and bake until cheese melts.
*note: stuffing the manicotti will take awhile, just be warned. But it is worth it!



Thanks again for everything, Shaye! :)

2 comments:

  1. YUM YUM YUM. We should have a dinner and a movie night soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for that, we haven't done that in awhile!

    ReplyDelete