Friday, September 17, 2010

Kitchen Adventures 4.2

Every now and then I expand my horizons and try a new recipe that includes ingredients I would not normally use. I tried that this week, and the results were not too bad.
I never thought I liked spinach until I tried a salad of baby spinach leaves and discovered just how delicious it can be. However, cooked spinach is a different story. I think spinach is going to be like carrots for me; I much prefer them raw rather than cooked. But, I am glad I tried something new, and if nothing else maybe someone else will see the recipe and give it a try.
As a note, I modified the recipe a bit. Rather than using small shells I used jumbo ones because that is what I had. Also, I omitted the onion because the last time I used onion it was way too overpowering. I'll include them in the recipe, though. I also only used 3/4 lb. of spinach rather than an entire pound.
This recipe came from one of my Rachael Ray magazines.

Spinach and Ricotta with Shells

Ingredients:
1 pound small pasta shells
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 pound baby spinach
1 pound ricotta cheese
3/4 c. grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping

Directions:
1. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta until al dente; drain and return to the pot.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium head; add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach by the handful and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add the spinach mixture, ricotta and 1/4 c. parmesan cheese to the pasta and toss. Serve immediately with more paremesan cheese.

1 comment:

  1. This looks really good! I love spinach both cooked and in salads. I just might have to try this one. ~Manette~

    ReplyDelete