Sunday, November 21, 2010

Kitchen Adventures 6.3

If I've said ti once, I've said it a thousand times: some of the best recipes you can find come from church cookbooks. One of my favorite cookbooks is from my youth group fundraiser years ago. Each year we took a mission trip, usually to a GROUP workcamp or local mission. I had wonderful opportunities to serve people in South Dakota (twice!), New Mexico, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Colorado, and Tennessee. For each trip we did several fundraisers, and one year this cookbook was a big one for us. What makes this cookbook different from your regular church cookbook is that we had several different people to draw from as our youth group was actually three churches combined along with several others that attended different churches, so we had quite a variety of recipes. I always check this first if I'm looking for a good recipe. Thanks, Mom, for getting this for me! This recipe was contributed by Kim Hsgue, one of my mom's good friends. Thanks, Kim!

I had to amend one of the key ingredients in this recipe as I could not find it at the store. luckily, my friend Shaye, aka my grocery shopping buddy, suggested a good alternate. I could not find a loaf of frozen bread at Target, so instead I used a refrigerated pizza crust. It was not one of the circle ones but one you roll out. This worked pretty well for what I needed to do, and it took much less time as i did not have to wait for the bread to rise. If you choose to use a pizza crust instead, make sure you cook it according to the pizza cooking directions, not necessarily the recipe cooking times and temperatures. You could also add whatever you want inside, but I liked the original ingredients so did not change them.

Stromboli

Ingredients:

1 loaf Rhodes frozen bread (or pizza crust)
ham
hard salami
provolone cheese
garlic powder
Italian seasoning
1 egg yolk
Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Let bread defrost and rise on cookie sheet. Roll out around the cookie sheet. Layer ham, salami, and provolone cheese. Sprinkle on garlic powder and Italian seasoning, to taste. Roll up jelly-roll style and seal all edges. Brush on egg yolk and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment